Becca and Justin dropped us off at the airport around 6:30. We said goodbye to Emma, she didn't really know what was going on she just knew she didn't want to get back in her carseat. We ventured into the airport and finally figured out what we needed to do with a little help from the Delta employees, things have changed a lot since the last time we flew. The airplane we flew in was a smaller one but we had the most room for our legs in this flight. We realized we should sit in the exit rows more often, they asked us several times if we were able and willing to lift a 40 lb door and help others out, not sure if I really could but I said yes anyway. I could see Houston out of the window as we flew in and I had no idea how Green it was, there were trees and water everywhere. At the Houston airport we landed at concourse B and our flight was leaving from terminal E18 so we rode a shuttle bus over to concourse c,d,e. On the ride over I overheard people talking about going on their vacation and how their kids were finally old enough to be left alone and that they would never leave their kids when they were babies, I was feeling very guilty by this time. When we got dropped off we walked a long ways and finally found concourse E, after walking a long ways more we finally saw where gates E18 through E24 were and I thought, well at least I don't have to walk to E24, it turned out E 24 was before E18 and E18 was the very last terminal in the airport. We found a Wendy's for lunch close to our terminal and as I was eating my Frosty I realized I didn't have to share it with anyone. Our next flight was on Continental and the airplane was really nice, I didn't have a window seat so I decided to just watch movies the whole way, after about three movies, i finally decided to try to sleep, the guy next to me however decided to read the whole way and left his light on for the whole flight. (It wasn't Philip he had already been asleep for hours). I also had a baby sitting behind me who cried almost the whole flight, I turned my head phones up loud while I was watching the movies because it made me miss Emma.
We landed in Amsterdam after fast forwarding through the previous day, we had to stand in line to go through security again to get on the plane I was extremely tired by this time since it was about 1:30am my time. Our flight from Amsterdam to Nairobi was my least favorite flight. We tried to move to a window seat but the flight attendant was very unfriendly and wouldn't let us. The flight we were on decided to have an African experience theme for April and May so all of the food they fed us was supposedly suppose to be African. It didn't taste very good, and by this time I was starting to question my decision to go to Africa and wanting to go home to my kids. The couple that was sitting behind us decided this would be a good time to catch up on their alcohol consumption and drank way too much, Apparently alcohol must run right through you because they had to get up and go to the bathroom many times, each time they did they used my chair to get up and would shake me awake, it seemed like just when I got to sleep. There must also be no age limit for alcohol because I watched the flight attendant give a group of under 18 teenage boys beers when our flight was close to being done, she told them that whoever serenaded her got a beer.
When we got to the airport we got our visa's and luggage and walked by customs excited to finally see my parents. We walked out the door and up and down past the people several times before we decided that my parents weren't there. As we were standing there wondering what to do we had several taxi drivers want to give us rides, one even followed us as we walked around trying to find my parents. We were very relieved when they finally showed up. They had been stuck in traffic for two hours on the way to get us. It was raining really hard when we left the airport and we had our first experience with Africa traffic. People were dashing across the road all over the place, and people were driving like crazy, luckily Dad has gotten pretty good at being able to maneuver in the traffic. When we arrived at their flat the power was out so we weren't able to tell anybody we were home, the power came on for a few minutes and we were able to talk to Emma, but she thinks Becca is me so she is happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sounds exciting cant wait to read about the rest of your adventure! When I went to Canada I had that problem, I think you can drink at 18 in most places.
Post a Comment